Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Feeling Aversion Towards Wire Hangers




“No Wire Hangers, Ever!”  I don’t condone Joan Crawford’s nasty parenting skills in any way.  However,  I have to say I loathe wire hangers after I get home from the dry cleaners.  They have the tendency to cause me to have a  mini inner meltdown. I detest  wire hangers in my closet or trash  just like I dislike the feeling of being in the situation  when someone leaves  one sheet of toilet paper  on the roll without replacing it.   Awkward and messy….


Wire hangers serve a purpose by keeping our clothes hung nice and straight while we  transition particles of our wardrobe from the dry cleaners to home.  After you transfer your freshly dry cleaned clothes from the wire hangers to your closet do you find yourself trying to jam the wire hangers into your bathroom  waste basket as you watch them  pop out in an awkward way?  I do.  Sometimes I feel like I am struggling to fight my way out of a paper bag with the wire hangers.  They always win..... Then finally it is trash day and I try to transfer them to the  large  trash bag.  What ends up happening is   that the wire  hangers end up puncturing holes in my trash bag and things get crazy.   They try to get out. It is almost like they are purposely trying to mess with me.  


I recently learned there was a way  I could mend my relationship with those wire hangers.    Last week when I picked up my clothes from the Driftway Cleaners I was offered a hanger valet. Yes, a hanger valet!  They exist.   It is this cardboard triangular structure that are for you use to  store your wire hangers.   They even have little handles.  It is like a cardboard triangular clutch . 


  You can be a non-recycling earth hater and just trash them from the box but that would not be kosher.  Do what they were made for and bring the wire hangers in their caddy back to Driftway Cleaners and they will recycle the wire hangers for you. .   Everyone wins in this situation.


Reasons why hanger valets from the dry cleaners rock:
1.     You don’t have punctured trash bags that make it look like the raccoons took a liking to you trash
2.     You don’t have unattractive  wire hangers  to bring down your closet’s self esteem
3.     You are being green.  Kermit may have said “It’s not easy being green”, but I assure you it can be



There is no need to get violent with the wire hangers for any reason.  Just put them in the box and take them back to their home;  the Driftway Cleaners.  Visit Driftway Cleaners and get your caddy.  The staff are friendly, your clothes are well taken care of, and they have free hard candy and sometimes lollipops at their front counter.  




Photo1: by Matthew Spurlock (no wire hangers)

3 comments:

  1. Nice way of plugging the Deiftway Cleaners. Wire hangers were always a problem fopr me also. They still rip my plastic bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny! Our closets are over-run by wire hangers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My old dry cleaner would take the hangers back. No waste and a great way to recycle.

    ReplyDelete